stories of an adoptive family
"When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out." -Erma Bombeck

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thank you Katie

I have been woefully ignorant these past eleven years as a parent. Apparently there is a very troubling and contagious sleep condition known as "floppiness." This insidious condition struck our house the other day. I told Katie to wake up and get ready for school. She replied, "I am awake." I told her that opening her eyes wasn't good enough, she actually needed to get out of bed. She informed me that she couldn't because she was floppy. "Floppy?" I said, "what is that?" She said "You know. Floppy," and preceded to lift up her leg and drop it back down on the bed. "I can't get out of bed because my body will flop on the floor." (She told me this while giving me her best 'silly mom' look). Horrible unsympathetic mother that I am, I told her to get her booty out of bed and get dressed or she would be the only girl at preschool in her pajamas. It did make me realize though, that all these times I thought Levi was just too tired or too lazy to get up in less than forty minutes was because he too suffers from the horribly debilitating floppiness. Thank you Katie, for finally giving it a name.

2 comments:

bjohnston said...

I think floppy disease must be contagious. Cooper and Weston pass it back and forth to each other on a regular basis.

BeanSproutMom said...

Ah, so that's what it's technical name is! Good to know! lol