stories of an adoptive family
"When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out." -Erma Bombeck

Sunday, June 12, 2011

You're Stupid, Fat and Poo-poo

We've recently had problems with Isabelle calling people fat. She will say things like "Mom, that man is fat." She also points out who in the family is fat. Steve and I can't figure out where this obsession came from. We purposely don't talk about weight at home having one extremely thin daughter and one curvy daughter. I worry the correlation between saying things like "I look so fat" to causing eating disorders in girls. So we've tried to tell Isabelle that it's rude. (Which it is). We've tried to tell her that it hurts people's feelings. (Which it does). Nothing has worked, and finally we told her that it's a BAD word. Which is why now when she's mad and insults us she has added "fat" to her repertoire of her old favorites "stupid & poo-poo"

2 comments:

Lisa Sanderson said...

My kids, in general, don't call names, they just repeatedly punch and kick each other. I'm not sure which is worse, but I've had no luck stopping the beatings, so I imagine I would have no luck stopping the name callings either. You could try and convince her she's pronouncing "fat" incorrectly and tell her it's really pronounced, "fit"....

Janell said...

Well the Isabelle and Kenna repeatedly hit, scratch and pull hair. In fact, today Isabelle threw a pretend can of soup made of wood that hit Kenna in the face. Her nose bled for at least 20 minutes. I would like to say that was abnormal. Unfortunately, its not.