stories of an adoptive family
"When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out." -Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eat out...it saves your sanity!

A cousin recently posted about all the yummy things she has made in the first 22+ days of marriage. I remember those days. Now days this is how dinner goes. Walk to gas stove with open flame and put pan on stove. Step over 10 month old crying & crawling on the floor because nobody will hold him. Remove 2-year-old from off the stool in front of the stove. Step over 10 month old still crying with 2 yr old now joining in. Move stool out of kitchen. Go back to stove and remove the 4 year old from in front of it. Step over 10 month old. Move second stool out. Turn around to see the 2yr old & 4 yr old both standing on the first stool in front of the stove, pushing each other, scratching, hitting and calling each other "stupid fat". Now baby is holding on to foot screaming and 6 yr old has turned on the Disney Channel at full volume. Ask 6 yr old to please turn it down. Turns it down by 1 bar. 10 yr old comes in and asks whats for dinner. Informs that its yuchy and sheis not eating and stomps upstairs. 12 yr old comes in and proceeds to make everybody cry and scream. Pot is now boiling over. Its 6:40 and I'm still not half done. Guess we'll be eating at 7:30...again.

So please cousin dear, enjoy your carefree cooking days. They are numbered.

5 comments:

Sarah F said...

Not to try and one-up, but one time I had a similar situation that ended with me accidentally overturning an entire pan of lasagna in the oven.

I don't think I actually said anything, just packed the kids into their car seats and drove to Steak and Shake.

Valinda said...

Only 60 days until half of them will be gone 6 hours a day :)Hang in there, and invest in PB&J.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Yesterday I went all out and made Ribeye Steaks and Mashed potatoes (real potatoes) I turned around just in time to see Liam dump half a cannister of salt on top of my stack of beautifully grilled expensive steaks. I scrapped the salt off, and made Liam eat the top (most salted) steak, I ate the one under it with minimal salt and matt got the bottom unsalted steak. I wasn't quiet. I was really really verbal and mad. I don't know how you cook with six because I run into all those same issues with three.

Garrett B said...

That is a wonderful description of cooking with kids! I have one who loves to "help." I want to encourage that helpful attitude, but, well, guess we'll be eating at 7:30 again too.

By the way, "stupid fat" is an excellent all-purpose insult.

luster said...

What were the dogs doing during this? Can't leave them out.