stories of an adoptive family
"When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out." -Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pardon my dust...

I wanted to apologize for my disappearance act this summer. My summer has consisted of refereeing fights between the older 2, cleaning the never ending messes of the younger 2, and constantly feeding, changing and entertaining the baby. Any free time I have is usually spent sitting in the corner babbling like a madwoman.

The Highlights of my summer thus far include:

1. Lovely 4 yr old Katie deciding to walk home by herself from gymnastics and making it 2 blocks before being picked up by a passing bicyclist who took her back to the community center in time to chew out Steve for being a deadbeat dad.

2. Having enough of Levi and Rhyan's fighting and locking them outside in 100 degree weather while I showered in peace. (Peace being a relative word as I showered with the baby screaming in her Bumbo seat and Katie and Isabelle tearing up my house, but at least there wasn't a continual stream of tattling parading through the bathroom during said shower).

3. Kenna getting her first 2 teeth. Enough said.

4. Far, far too many hours spent in the car with family. (At least 3 so far).

5. Practicing to be a grumpy librarian, hoping this time they might actually be quiet and Kenna might actually sleep for longer than a half hour.

School starts in 19 days. It's not like I'm counting or anything.

3 comments:

Sarah F said...

With any luck, next summer's list will include fishing, swimming, lemonade stands, and other more pleasant pursuits. However, to make it happen you'll probably need muzzles, straitjackets, and leashes.
--G

bjohnston said...

I feel your pain. My kids just started back to school this week, AND Weston is in full-day kindergarten. Now my summer can really begin.

Dan said...

Think of all the memories you will be able to pass along to your children's future dates and your future grandchildren. Pay back, baby, pay back.

Give them time; they are not using the laundry shoot as a slide, or making "butt" holes in the wall...yet.